Here’s a little bit about what gemstones are, how they are made and the benefits of wearing/using them. My next blog will continue to go more in depth of what some gemstones can do for you and how each one can benefit you in different ways.
Gemstones (also known as a jewel, a gem, a precious stone), are minerals that have been chosen for their beauty and valued by their lasting durability and rarity. They are cut and polished to create jewellery or other embellishments.
Precious stones are known in the west as diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emerald and are considered more valuable than other semi-precious stones and gemstones. However, this is not always true. This is a commercial based classification created by marketers to convince the public that diamonds are the premier gemstones through excellent advertising.
Gemstones are a product of the earth, formed below the Earth’s surface and can sometimes show traces of other minerals, called inclusions. Green Aventurine quartz is actually colourless quartzite, filled with tiny flakes of green fuchsite mica which gives it its colour. Gemstone inclusions are beautiful and interesting, like goldstone and its flecks of copper which gives a sparkle effect. They are formed by either, explosions of molten rock, heat and pressure or even crystallised slowly from hot fluids and gases which cool and turn solid into these beautiful natural gemstones.
What are the benefits of wearing gemstones?
Every gemstone has the power to draw energy from its respective planet and channel it into the wearer’s body.
A known way to achieving your purpose is to keep your intentions in your mind, regularly think about what you want and why you want it. Wear your gemstones to enhance these affirmations and use them when doing spiritual practices such as meditation.
In ancient Egypt and other cultures, people believed gemstones had many different health benefits and it continues today that people feel the healing effects and benefits of gemstones.
- The energy of the gemstone neutralizes the energetic blockages that cause poor health.
- Make you feel more connected to earth and your intentions.
- Give you positive energy and inspire you to live the life you deserve.
- Restore energy fields, gain peace, and promote love and safety.
- Promote healing when placed on certain areas of the body, called chakras.
How to cleanse your stones?
Gemstones and crystals must be cleansed because they are believed to have an extensive memory. They remember all forces and energies attached to the places they’ve been or the things they’ve touched. In order to increase the effects of their metaphysical energies, stones need to be cleansed of any unwanted energies that they may have collected from you, from others, or from the environment.
Basically, what cleanses your stones is your intention to do so. It is an act of love. Take your time and enjoy it. Personally, I feel these are the safer and easier ways to cleanse your stones. There are many other ways that you can cleanse a stone that I have not listed here.
- Visualisation – visualise a stream of water flowing through your crystal, or a column of pure white/ golden light coming down and surrounding the stone, deeply cleansing the it’s negative energies into positive ones.
- Smudging – carefully pass the stone through the smoke of a white sage smudge stick or incense several times until you intuitively feel it has been cleared.
- Moon light – place the stone in moonlight for at least one night under a full moon, longer if the moon is not full.
- Amethyst/Clear quartz – is excellent for magnifying, focusing, and, in this case, transmuting energy. Small stones can be left overnight on a larger crystal cluster of clear quartz and Amethyst to be cleansed.
- The Earth – Bury your stones in the ground and leave them for a day, they are energised and comforted in the earth as it is where they formed and grew.
- Breath – hold the stone to your heart whilst breathing in. Then bring the stone to your mouth and keeping in mind your intention, blow on it as if you’re blowing all the negative energies out of the stone. Repeat several times until your intuition tells you it’s cleansed.
So remember to choose a method and cleanse your crystal/gemstone:
- As soon as you receive the stone
- Before you programme it with your intention
- After each use, or daily if you wear or carry it
- When you feel it has become drained or dull
- Monthly, if it’s used for environmental healing such as in your home.